Employment Conditions and Procedures
- Guidance on the Removal of the Default Retirement Age TNC 2012/01 PDF 33 KB
This agreement provides guidance for school principals regarding the removal of the default retirement age.
- Workload Agreement TNC 2011/8 PDF 40 KB
This agreement recognises the importance of Boards of Governors ensuring that the workload of all principals, vice principals and teachers is managed fairly and consistently to ensure that all teaching professionals can discharge their roles and responsibilities effectively for the benefit of the teaching and learning of pupils. Supplementary guidance includes:
- Appendix I: Guidance and Advice on the Allocation and Operation of Cover Arrangements PDF 61 KB
- Appendix II: Model School Cover Policy PDF 32 KB
- Appendix III: Time Budgeting PDF 49 KB
- Appendix IV: Directed Time Budget sample Pro-forma PDF 32 KB
- Joint Protocol for Dealing with Grievances/Complaints involving Staff Employed by Different Employer/Employing Authorities TNC 2011/7 PDF 21 KB
This protocol is an addendum to relevant procedures. Existing procedures serve the majority of those with a grievance/complaint however there may be occassions when co workers working for different employers/employing authorities wish to initiate a grievance/complaint against one or other.
- Procedure for Handling Teacher Redundancies TNC 2010/1 PDF 45 KB
This procedure sets out the principles and procedures to be followed as soon as a redundancy situation has been identified by the relevant body. Guidelines PDF 29 KB on the procedure also issued to schools.
- Policy & Procedure to Combat Bullying & Harassment of Teachers including Principals and Vice Principals in Grant Aided Schools - TNC 2009/11 PDF 643 KB
This procedure sets out the procedures for a teacher to pursue a legitimate claim of bullying and/or harassment by another member of staff (teaching or support staff) within the context of their employment in the school. Annex III of the procedure - Bullying and/or Harassment by a Third Party Other than an Employee TNC 2011/4 PDF 46 KB issued to all schools in September 2011 and sets out the process to be followed where the complaint is in relation to bullying and/or harassment by a third party who is not an employee of the school.
- Performance Review and Staff Development - TNC 2009/10 PDF 234 KB
This circular sets out the framework for the Performance Review and Staff Development Scheme which applies to all qualified teachers in grant-aided schools, other than teachers participating in induction and Early Professional Development. Guidelines PDF 207 KB on the scheme also issued to Governors and Principals.
- Planning Preparation and Assessment (PPA) Time Policy Statement - TNC 2009/8 PDF 82 KB
This document advises that Principals and Board of Governors should evaluate the potential to introduce PPA time for all teachers in their school and attempt to timetable and guarantee this time where possible.
- Mediation Procedure - TNC 2008/6 PDF 38 KB
This procedure replaces annex 1 of the Grievance Procedure and outlines the mediation principles and procedure which will be used by the employers' internal mediation team. It should be used in any Grievance or Bullying and Harassment cases.
- Grievance Procedure - TNC 2008/3 PDF 56 KB
This procedure sets out the procedure and time limits to be followed where a teacher formally raises a matter of grievance.
- Disciplinary Procedure - TNC 2007/5 PDF 82 KB
This procedure provides a fair and consistent way of dealing with alleged teacher misconduct. See also TNC 2008/4 Disciplinary Procedure Notes of Guidance PDF 70 KB.
- Collective Agreement - TNC 2007/3 PDF 78 KB
This agreement provides employment protection to teachers in the instance of school amalgamations.
- Guidance to Boards of Governors on Leadership Pay June 2006 PDF 1,427 KB
This updated guidance on the salary placement for Principals and Vice-Principals.
- Termination of Employment of Teachers - TNC 2000/4 PDF 45 KB
This procedure provides for the fair and consistent treatment of teachers in those circumstances where consideration is to be given to the termination of employment on the grounds of ill health or capability.
- Misconduct of Teachers - December 1999 PDF 20 KB
This letter provides Governors with supplementary advice on dealing with matters of misconduct of teachers, and sets out the arrangements for reporting incidences that warrant precautionary suspension.
- Procedures for dealing with Principals, Vice Principals and Teachers whose work is unsatisfactory - October 1997 PDF 81 KB
This procedure sets out the agreed procedures for dealing with unsatisfactory work. and includes informal, formal and appeal mechanisms.