Using this websiteIt is possible to improve your viewing experience by customising the background colour, the text colour, the text size and the text style through the settings on your browser. Below are instructions for customising settings in Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Changing the size of the text
- Go to the 'View’ menu
- Select 'Text Size'
- Select the desired text size
Alter the accessibility options
- Go to the 'Tools' menu
- Select 'Internet Options...'
- Click the 'Accessibility...' button
- Then tick the box 'Ignore colors specified on Web pages'. Then click the 'OK' button. This will switch off the background colours in nidirect. You can choose the colours of text and links
- By clicking the 'Colors' button, it will open up another set of options in relation to colours for the website. By un-ticking the box 'Use Windows colors', you can then specify which colours you would prefer to be displayed for the text and for links.
- You can also specify colours to be used for links your have previously visited and links when your mouse hovers over them.
More details on accessibility in Internet Explorer
Microsoft publishes detailed information on the accessibility features of the Internet Explorer web browser and other Microsoft software.
Increasing the size of the text
Some users find screen text easier to read by increasing the size that the text is displayed.
To do this in Firefox, go to the 'View menu', select 'Text Size' and then select 'Increase'. You can have the same effect by using the keyboard and press the keys 'Ctrl' and '+' at the same time.
Changing the display on the screen
Firefox provides other ways in which you can fine-tune how pages look on your screen.
For example you can change the background colours and choose which colours to have text, links and visited links displayed.
You can make these changes by:
- Going to the 'Tools' menu at the top of the page
- Selecting 'Options...' from that menu
- Click on the 'Content' tab.
- Click on the 'Advanced' or 'Colours' buttons to set your preferences.
You can specify which colours you prefer text and links to be displayed in, and which background colour should show on the page. You can also choose colours to be used for links your have previously visited and links when your mouse hovers over them.