Structure and functions
One Deputy Secretary, John McGrath, and the Chief Inspector of the Education and Training Inspectorate support the Permanent Secretary. The second Deputy Secretary post is currently vacant.
In addition to the Education and Training Inspectorate there are eight heads of division who each deal with a specific area of work with each Division organised into a number of Branches and Teams.
The structure of the education system here involves nine non-departmental public bodies, which although operating independently, work closely with the Department of Education and are the ultimate responsibility of the Minister of Education.
- Belfast Education and Library Board
- South Eastern Education and Library Board
- Southern Education and Library Board
- North Eastern Education and Library Board
- Western Education and Library Board
- The Council for Catholic Maintained Schools
- The Northern Ireland Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessments
- The Staff Commission for the Education and Library Boards
- The Youth Council for Northern Ireland
A number of statutory and voluntary groups and organisations work closely with the Department and have an important contribution to make to the administration of education.