Remit of the Costello Group
The remit of the Working Group shall be:
To take account of the responses to the consultation on the Burns Report, including the diversity of views on academic selection, and provide advice on options for future arrangements for post-primary education.
The advice should provide for:
- development of alternative transfer procedures with a view to the current Transfer Tests being withdrawn as soon as practicable;
- development of a Pupil Profile to inform parental and pupil choice;
- access for all young people to a broader curriculum providing greater choice;
- flexible arrangements that can meet the developing needs of young people;
- greater co-operation and collaboration among schools and with the further education sector;
- the development of local arrangements that meet local needs, wishes and circumstances.
The Working Group should also advise on:
- guiding principles and measurable outcomes for future post-primary arrangements;
- criteria for the development and assessment of proposals together with measures to encourage and support their development and implementation;
- outline arrangements for the planning and implementation of future post-primary arrangements.