Shared Education Campuses ProgrammeShared Education Campuses Programme
The Minister for Education launched the Shared Education Campus Programme in January 2014. Under the programme the Department is seeking to invest in innovative projects involving the need for new shared facilities.
The Programme will deliver on one of the strategic headline actions from the Executive's ‘Together: Building a United Community’ initiative announced by the First Minister and deputy First Minister in May 2013 – the commencement of 10 new Shared Education Campuses within the next 5 years
The Programme is aimed at providing capital assistance to schools to facilitate and deliver the following types of sharing:
- Shared facilities – where new facilities are built to allow for shared use by all schools within the model.
- Enhanced facilities – where current facilities are improved to allow for shared use by all schools within the model.
- Shared Campus – where schools are co-located and share infrastructure i.e. the Lisanelly model.
Proposals submitted under the Programme will require the endorsement of the relevant Managing Authorities for the schools involved and must be submitted through the Chief Executive of the relevant school planning authority i.e. the local Education and Library Board.
First Call for Expressions of Interest
The first call for Expressions of Interest in the Programme closed on 31 March 2014.
The Minister announced the first 3 projects to be supported under the Programme on 1 July 2014. They are:-
- St Mary’s High School, Limavady & Limavady High School – the project will provide two new shared facilities – a shared sixth form centre on the St Mary’s school site and a shared Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) centre on the Limavady High School site;
- A shared educational campus for Moy Regional Primary School & St John’s Primary School, Moy; and
- A shared educational campus for Ballycastle High School and Cross and Passion College, Ballycastle.
The projects will now proceed to the planning stage.
Second Call for Expressions of Interest
It is anticipated that a second call for Expressions of Interest will open in September 2014. More information will appear here at that time.